disappointed by David Copperfield's January 21, 2008 show in Ottawa
richard
2008-01-28 23:41:00 UTC
I posted the following to David Copperfield's web site forum, and got
a few replies but !poof!, the entire thread suddenly disappeared, just
like magic. I figure Dave didn't like that someone didn't enjoy his
show, which is entirely in line with what I think of the man. So here
goes...

I was at the 20:30 Monday show (Jan. 21, 2008) in Ottawa and I am
truly
disappointed with Mr. Copperfield's performance.

What an egomaniac this man is!

While waiting for the show to start, we were shown headlines projected
on a large screen telling us about all of the titles he's won, that
he's the performer who's earned the most money in the last five years,
bla bla bla. I already paid over $100 for my seat, so why are you
marketing him to me?

The show starts a few minutes late and the first thing you know, for
what seems like almost ten minutes, we're shown clips taken from TV
shows and movies, from comedies to talk shows and dramas, where people
make reference to David Copperfield. I guess this was to highlight how
ingrained he is in American society. Again, I already paid over $100
for my seat, so why market him to me?

I'm here for magic and illusion, not marketing or Mr. Copperfield's
ego!

Ok, so the evening started in the wrong direction, and while his (few)
new illusions were really awesome, more than half of his stuff he's
been repeating for years. I saw him over 15 years ago in the same hall
in Ottawa and I was disappointed to note that many of the illusions
were almost identical, while some were worse now than before.

Please consider doing away with sappy stories to kill time. Too bad
about the conflicts between your grand-father, your father and
yourself, but I didn't pay over $100 expecting to see a magic show to
hear about any of this.

Also, the lady in the yellow jacket who travelled instantly across the
world with you in one of your illusions had a different hairdo in both
locations ... OOPS!

I got about 60 minutes of show for my more than $100. No wonder you
earn the most of all performers.

I will also mention how bored Mr. Copperfield looked all evening. Not
one smile, not one sign of emotion. He looked like he was just going
through the motions to get it over with. Why continue if the passion
is gone?

I believe that magic involves emotions. I saw great illusions last
night, but I didn't feel any magic whatsoever.

In conclusion, I am disappointed with Mr. Copperfield, although I did
enjoy the few new illusions he presented.

Good luck, and I hope the magic returns to your spirit!

Cheers,
disappointed in Ottawa
Simmo
2008-01-29 05:07:42 UTC
You gonna tell us what they were bud?
mitchell_leary
2008-01-29 10:45:43 UTC
Post by richard
[...]
Thanks for the review Richard. It's the same story everywhere
Copperfield performs: He's lost his audience appeal. It's as if he's
just going through the motions and doesn't really give a rat's ass
about performing anymore.

If you were lucky enough to see one of his shows back in the 80s you'd
have a frame of reference to compare todays show to. Those shows were
so good I almost wanted to give the guy another $50 just because I
felt so damn good after seeing the show. Those were the best magic
performances I've ever seen and probably ever will see.

The tickets for my first Copperfield show back in the mid-80s were
$10!!!
I've just gotta ask, did he walk out in a tee shirt (not even tucked
in) and a pair of black pants? I guess he feels that's what we deserve.

And you say he removed your post from his website? That speaks for
itself.

And to the guy who wants Richard to name the illusions he liked. That
sounds like a question Copperfield himself would ask. Anonymous
posters we've never heard of almost always show up everytime something
negative is posted about Copperfield.

I think my favorite trick he does is the vanishing rape charges.
Exactly as I predicted the day it came out; the entire thing, FBI
investigation and all has completely vanished.

-Leary-
richard
2008-01-29 16:22:53 UTC
Post by richard
[...]
-Leary-- Hide quoted text -
Since you ask, he was wearing black pants, a white tshirt and an
unbuttoned blue shirt.

He also was wearing something under the white tshirt, a corset? or an
apparatus for some of his tricks, like maybe the dancing (magnetic?)
ball of paper?

Richard
randwill
More likely the apparatus for the Laser split in half thing.
The Doge of St. Louis
2008-02-01 06:12:16 UTC
In article
Post by mitchell_leary
Thanks for the review Richard. It's the same story everywhere
Copperfield performs: He's lost his audience appeal. It's as if he's
just going through the motions and doesn't really give a rat's ass
about performing anymore.
He was already going in that direction the last time I reviewed his show
in 2002. I still enjoyed the evening, but commented that he sometimes
seemed to be simply "vamping" between illusions. Pity. When I saw his
"Dreams and Nightmares" show back in '98 I thought it was pretty decent.

I remember the days when there was actually more than one traveling
illusion show you could see. Now it's apparently Copperfield or nothing.

At least Ricky Jay hits the road every now and then. And *that's*
something you don't want to miss!
--
<*> ObQuote: "It's not the trick; it's the magician." - Harry Houdini
<*>The_Doge of St. Louis Stage, screen, radio
http://www.pobox.com/~thedoge/ http://www.stageleft.org
Art
2008-02-01 20:09:23 UTC
By the way the DC crew seems to be leaving up some negative reviews and even
responding to them.

It sure is a shame that he doesn't pull out some of his great illusions from
the past from his warehouse. Would love to see 13th floor, the Fan, flying,
and his giant buzz saw again. Forget the dancing ties please.
Whodat
2008-01-29 13:01:20 UTC
Post by richard
[...]
I'm sorry to hear how disappointed you were in the show. I haven't seen
Copperfield in about 10 years so I can't say anything about his recent
performances. But there is one thing you should consider.

If this were a favorite band you were going see, one you'd seen several
times before. Would you expect them to play some of the same songs they did
in previous tours? Or would you expect a show of entirely new material
every year? Magicians don't throw out their show every year for each new
tour. Just like bands, they do a combination of old material and new
material. When you see a performer more than once, you should expect to see
some repetition.

But attitudes and performing styles do change. I hope the impression you
left with isn't standard for his current shows.

Dave
Art
2008-01-30 23:09:34 UTC
When DC played Raleigh NC 2 years ago he showed the same 2 flicks. My wife
turned to me and said "this must be a virtual live magic show". The local
newspaper called his 2 flicks the 2 worse movies in Raleigh that week.
Otherwise they loved the show.

You can't beat his earlier shows.... I remember his flying tour.... the
show was almost 2 hours and full of giant illusions. His latest show had a
few good illusions but was more comedy than anything else.

One pro I've talked to said you can partially blame the cost of fuel. He
used to bring a half a dozen trucks with him. Now he is down to 1 or 2.
disappointed in Ottawa
f***@gmail.com
2016-05-15 16:54:49 UTC
I agree entirely with everything you've said. I posted a similar review on Yelp a few years back, as it seems like his ego has gotten the best of him. He had zero emotions during the two shows I saw, it's as if he had memorized everything, and didn't even know how to pretend like he was acting like he cared when he performed, he was simply repeating what was in his head, like he's done thousands of times before. I was also disappointed, that the two shows I saw were several years apart, and many, many of the tricks were repeated in both shows. Lots of people go to Vegas every year or two, and it would be nice if he would incorporate more fresh things in the show. But the most disappointing part is his ego. Starting off with all the video clips, then him talking about himself with his father and grandfather, not really putting tru emotion into it, and now he's even got a large plaque, touting all of his success as an amazing magician, and this large, huge in fact, plaque is sitting outside the theater, near the ticket box office, along with a giant, obviously airbrushed, photo of him. What's sad, is I've gone to the MGM Hotel and stayed there many times since the last time I saw him way back when, and whenever I walk by the theater, all I remember is the massive ego he has, and how it's no longer fun to see his show. I see other shows now when I'm in Vegas, but I will not be seeing his show again.
It's also interesting that he seems to have a lot of his script taped onto the floor of the stage. So while it sounds like he's memorized and reciting many parts of his show, I guess he has a backup copy literally printed out on paper, cut into strips, and taped right onto the floor. I know this, because I was chosen to perform in part of the last show that I saw, for the car trick, and I could see all of these lines of script, close up and personal, on the stage. And they're not very subtle, they're very obvious to anyone who Volunteers in the show. Overall a very disappointing experience.