Deans Box
o***@hotmail.com
2005-10-23 20:02:19 UTC
Can anyone explain how this trick works? see
http://deandill.com/deans_box.html
<http://www.thetrickery.com/ama/videos/deansbox.wmv>
Roland
2005-10-24 09:19:40 UTC
Why don't u just buy it and discover the trick by yourself?

Dave
h***@yahoo.com
2005-10-25 02:35:10 UTC
Hint, when the box is fully opened look carefully at the inside walls
and compare them with the outside walls. Think "Phantom Tube" except
square.

That should give you a sufficient clue to proceed. Then too, don't
underestimate the dexterity of the demonstrator.

Have fun, Harry C.
mitchell_leary
2005-10-25 11:00:26 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.com
Hint, when the box is fully opened look carefully at the inside walls
and compare them with the outside walls. Think "Phantom Tube" except
square.
That should give you a sufficient clue to proceed. Then too, don't
underestimate the dexterity of the demonstrator.
Have fun, Harry C.
I don't know what you've been smoking Harry C., but Dean's Box does NOT
use the Phantom Tube principle or any other magician's principle, it's
100% gaff free. As a matter of fact you could use an old cardboard box
with two holes in the sides, the box has absolutely nothing to do with
the trick other than to conceal your hands from view while you perform
a little monkey business out of sight.

-Leary-
h***@yahoo.com
2005-10-25 17:44:11 UTC
Well, in the video the box definitely has a lot of metal within, and
there is what appears to be a visible taper on the inside of the box
that calls to mind a Phantom Tube. Of course I have no idea why this
would be needed, but still it's there as are what appears to be a flat
metal plate on the top.

Note my second comment:

"Then too, don't underestimate the dexterity of the demonstrator."

This was added as a warning to prospective purchasers that the effect
is not "self working" as many beginners seem to expect. Notwithstanding
the details, a beginner should expect to spend days or weeks perfecting
the skill required to present the effect as flawlessly as does the
performer on the video.

The ring on the rope is arguably the easiest effect to perform, and I
know of at least two different method to accomplish this. No doubt
there are others. The linking of the two ropes is pretty slick.

Harry C.
Al Hastings
2005-10-26 00:22:56 UTC
I have to admit...for just 3 sleights and a box, I am jelous he sells
this for $255 and he probably does sell a few too. I am so jelous. Note
to self, grow a mullet.
-Al
mitchell_leary
2005-10-26 01:27:27 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.com
[...]
You're seeing things Harry, there's more metal in a penny than there is
in the box. That box is 100% wood and the craftsmanship is pretty
good, but gaffed it is not. It can be examined before and after the
trick, it doesn't do a darned thing except hide the hands for a rope
trick. And it's an old rope trick at that, the presentation is fresh,
that's why the trick fools so badly.

You could do the trick with a paper grocery bag, a cardboard box is
even better, just cut holes in each side for the hands. If you have a
copy of Karl Fulves SELF-WORKING TABLE MAGIC, the basic secret is on
page 52, titled "Loops Entwined" . In this trick it's done under a
handkerchief instead of inside a $255 box. The book is $6.oo or so
from any regular bookstore or magic shop.

And on the page prior to that is the secret to the Needle Thru Balloon,
another marketed effect that sells for around $15.oo. So tonight Uncle
Mitch has handed you at least $270.oo worth of secrets for the low, low
price of a cup of coffee and a dognut.

That Karl Fulves SELF-WORKING book series contains THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS
worth of secrets. Collect the whole series, you won't be disappointed.

-Leary-
Art
2005-10-26 02:19:12 UTC
By the way, people might want to check out a classic. Amazring box by
Massey available at Viking Magic. Use www.google.com. It accomplishes the
ring on rope in a similar manner though this box is gimmicked because it is
too small for your hands to do any work inside. The Dean Box move might be
easier to accomplish.
-Leary-
William Morton
2005-10-26 14:16:08 UTC
Post by mitchell_leary
Mitch has handed you at least $270.oo worth of secrets for the low, low
price of a cup of coffee and a dognut.
Appreciate the pointer to the Fulves material.

But...

Dognut?!?!

eeewww ick.

Do you get your morning coffee at the Fear Factor cafe? :)
M@gic
2005-10-27 00:09:53 UTC
Post by mitchell_leary
[...]
Sorry - I own the box...it is gaffed a little
It is the best thing I ever bought
It looks like a piece of beautiful furniture
Be sure to check out Scott Alexander's Midnight Show DVD for a "spooky"
routine for it

Martin
mitchell_leary
2005-10-27 01:03:55 UTC
Post by ***@gic
Post by mitchell_leary
[...]
I don't consider that "secret something" a gaff, as I can do the entire
trick without it, and so much more. This trick is best performed
impromptu with a cardboard box you (or they) assemble in front of them.

Consider building a modified version of Dean's Box that incorporates
the Astro Ball Cabinet principle, and mini Spirit Cabinet. I have a
mannequin hand in mine (thank you Macy's) that puts on a ring behind
closed doors.

-Leary-
o***@hotmail.com
2005-10-30 04:21:36 UTC
So can you learn the trick easy? And, can you repeat it over and over
without taking time to prepare again?
By the way: why doesnt anyone reveal stuff here, it\s it they don't know, or
they bought the trick and can't stand he spend 220 usd on it and others
didnt? In any way, please answer my first 2 questions.
Jack Poulter
2005-10-30 17:26:37 UTC
Post by o***@hotmail.com
So can you learn the trick easy? And, can you repeat it over and over
without taking time to prepare again?
Whether you can "learn the trick easy" depends on your personal ability.
The principles involved are not difficult but effective presentation may
take time to develop. It isn't something you will be able to perform
ten minutes after receiving it. Repetition is not a problem, at least
it wasn't when I saw Dean demo-ing it.
Post by o***@hotmail.com
By the way: why doesnt anyone reveal stuff here, it\s it they don't know, or
they bought the trick and can't stand he spend 220 usd on it and others
didnt? In any way, please answer my first 2 questions.
To answer the above question, I suggest you read the alt.magic FAQ. It
is available at:
http://www.learn-great-magic-tricks.com/ One of the early paragraphs in
Part 1 answers you question fully.

Old Jack.
mitchell_leary
2005-10-30 18:55:57 UTC
Post by o***@hotmail.com
So can you learn the trick easy? And, can you repeat it over and over
without taking time to prepare again?
By the way: why doesnt anyone reveal stuff here, it\s it they don't know, or
they bought the trick and can't stand he spend 220 usd on it and others
didnt? In any way, please answer my first 2 questions.
Can you learn the trick easy? Can you imagine a real performer asking
this question? The primary reason this trick costs $255 is to keep it
out of the hands of people like yourself. And why in the hell would
you buy the trick now that you know the secret? You can make it
yourself for under $10 in materials.

-Leary-