"Penn Jillette" on dancing with the stars???????
Al Hastings
2008-02-19 08:42:25 UTC
Is this a goof???? I'm a fan of penn jillette, but wow. I'll
actually tune in to watch a ***300 pound*** magician. You know he
won't get kick off early...just to cause a stir and get ratings. The
way he markets himself to every media outlet is -real- magic!

http://www.dancewatcher.com/2008/02/18/dancing-with-the-stars-6-the-new-celebrity-dancers-2/#comments

-A
FragileWarrior
2008-03-06 12:39:05 UTC
Post by Al Hastings
Is this a goof???? I'm a fan of penn jillette, but wow. I'll
actually tune in to watch a ***300 pound*** magician. You know he
won't get kick off early...just to cause a stir and get ratings. The
way he markets himself to every media outlet is -real- magic!
I remember John Belushi at his heaviest dancing like a demon as half of the
Blues Brothers. Maybe Penn is light on his feet despite his height and
weight.
John W. Kennedy
2008-03-07 03:20:13 UTC
Post by FragileWarrior
Post by Al Hastings
Is this a goof???? I'm a fan of penn jillette, but wow. I'll
actually tune in to watch a ***300 pound*** magician. You know he
won't get kick off early...just to cause a stir and get ratings. The
way he markets himself to every media outlet is -real- magic!
I remember John Belushi at his heaviest dancing like a demon as half of the
Blues Brothers. Maybe Penn is light on his feet despite his height and
weight.
And Jackie Gleason and Oliver Hardy could dance at need, too. That's
show biz.
--
John W. Kennedy
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne
-- J. Michael Straczynski. "Babylon 5", "Ceremonies of Light and Dark"
Will Tingle
2008-03-07 10:29:23 UTC
An infinite number of primates hammered away at an infinite number of
Post by John W. Kennedy
Post by FragileWarrior
Post by Al Hastings
Is this a goof???? I'm a fan of penn jillette, but wow. I'll
actually tune in to watch a ***300 pound*** magician. You know he
won't get kick off early...just to cause a stir and get ratings. The
way he markets himself to every media outlet is -real- magic!
I remember John Belushi at his heaviest dancing like a demon as half
of the Blues Brothers. Maybe Penn is light on his feet despite his
height and weight.
And Jackie Gleason and Oliver Hardy could dance at need, too. That's
show biz.
I seem to remember John Goodman being pretty light on his feet at one
point in "King Ralph"
--
The more I see of my dickhead half brother...
...the more I think Cain was onto somthing!

Will Tingle
Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Maxwell Lol
2008-03-07 11:51:54 UTC
Post by Al Hastings
Is this a goof???? I'm a fan of penn jillette, but wow. I'll
actually tune in to watch a ***300 pound*** magician.
Many of the participants lose weight during the contest. Word is that
the judges told Penn he was overweight, and suggest he lose some
before he starts. He has done so.
Ed
2008-03-08 15:15:31 UTC
Is this a goof???? I'm a fan of penn jillette, but wow.   I'll
actually tune in to watch a ***300 pound*** magician.  You know he
won't get kick off early...just to cause a stir and get ratings.  The
way he markets himself to every media outlet is -real- magic!
http://www.dancewatcher.com/2008/02/18/dancing-with-the-stars-6-the-n...
-A
I almost wish I watched "Dancing With The Stars" so I could boycott as
Penn is going to be on.
The whole "roast" fiasco still sits badly with me not to mention his
comment to a group of young magicians about people who have faith in a
higher power.
Eric H.
2008-03-08 16:54:19 UTC
Post by Ed
The whole "roast" fiasco still sits badly with me not to mention his
comment to a group of young magicians about people who have faith in a
higher power.
So if he had said that he believed that everyone should have faith in a
higher power, you wouldn't think as badly of him?
Ed
2008-03-09 05:40:34 UTC
Post by Eric H.
Post by Ed
The whole "roast" fiasco still sits badly with me not to mention his
comment to a group of young magicians about people who have faith in a
higher power.
So if he had said that he believed that everyone should have faith in a
higher power, you wouldn't think as badly of him?
If he had phrased it the reverse of what he actually said, say
something like; "If you don't believe in a higher power, then you're
right up there with those people who firebombed churches!" Then no.
I'd still think badly of him.
Eric H.
That doesn't answer my question.
Ed
2008-03-10 00:08:56 UTC
Post by Eric H.
Post by Ed
Post by Eric H.
So if he had said that he believed that everyone should have faith in a
higher power, you wouldn't think as badly of him?
If he had phrased it the reverse of what he actually said, say
something like; "If you don't believe in a higher power, then you're
right up there with those people who firebombed churches!" Then no.
I'd still think badly of him.
That doesn't answer my question.
I thought it did. If he acknowledged that people have a right to
believe in a higher power, then I'd think better of him.
"should" no, "should be allowed to" yes.

Is that better?
Will Tingle

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-10 00:06:56 UTC
Post by Ed
I almost wish I watched "Dancing With The Stars" so I could boycott as
Penn is going to be on.
The whole "roast" fiasco still sits badly with me
Oh grow up!
You mean it's adult to allow someone to desecrate the core icon of
your belief structure and then imply that anyone who actually HAS a
belief structure can be equated with terrorists?

I'll stay a 53 year old kid, then, thank you.
Will Tingle
2008-03-13 11:26:06 UTC
Post by Ed
I almost wish I watched "Dancing With The Stars" so I could boycott as
Penn is going to be on.
The whole "roast" fiasco still sits badly with me
Oh grow up!
You mean it's adult to allow someone to desecrate the core icon of
your belief structure and then imply that anyone who actually HAS a
belief structure can be equated with terrorists?
I fail to understand how "the 'roast' fiasco" equated anyone with
terrorists...

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-14 14:59:04 UTC
Post by Ed
I almost wish I watched "Dancing With The Stars" so I could boycott as
Penn is going to be on.
The whole "roast" fiasco still sits badly with me
Oh grow up!
You mean it's adult to allow someone to desecrate the core icon of
your belief structure and then imply that anyone who actually HAS a
belief structure can be equated with terrorists?
I fail to understand how "the 'roast' fiasco" equated anyone with
terrorists...
That was later. In the same article that reported the "roast" fiasco,
it was also reported that Penn, in a lecture for young magicians,
stated; "If you believe in any sort of 'higher power,' then you were
right up there in the cockpit with the terrorists on 9/11!"
Will Tingle
2008-03-14 15:30:15 UTC
Post by Ed
I almost wish I watched "Dancing With The Stars" so I could boycott as
Penn is going to be on.
The whole "roast" fiasco still sits badly with me
Oh grow up!
You mean it's adult to allow someone to desecrate the core icon of
your belief structure and then imply that anyone who actually HAS a
belief structure can be equated with terrorists?
I fail to understand how "the 'roast' fiasco" equated anyone with
terrorists...
That was later. In the same article that reported the "roast" fiasco,
it was also reported that Penn, in a lecture for young magicians,
stated; "If you believe in any sort of 'higher power,' then you were
right up there in the cockpit with the terrorists on 9/11!"
The "oh grow up" comment was in response to "The whole 'roast' fiasco
sits badly with me", it was NOT in response to
some-other-incident-that-was-in-an-article-you-didn't-mention

But since you (now) bring it up:

Penn's point is simple (a little too simple, I'll grant you): if you
don't have religion, you can't have religious fundamentalism, if you
don't have religious fundamentalism, you don't have 9/11 (or, for that
fact the IRA).

I can see why you wouldn't agree with such a grossly over simplified
viewpoint, I still think that

1) wishing you watched a show,
so that
2)you could stop watching it,
because
3) someone who said something you disagree with is going to appear.

warrants a:

"Oh grow up"

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-15 09:36:40 UTC
Post by Ed
[...]
And I still respond, it's supposed to be "grown up" to not care that
someone used a function to insult the core beliefs of thousands of
people by portraying a holy man being felitioed? If he'd done
something like that involving Mohammed, he'd have a death sentence on
his head right now. The worst thing I'm offering is wishing that I
could deliberately boycott him.
Ed
2008-03-15 09:42:55 UTC
Post by Will Tingle
Penn's point is simple (a little too simple, I'll grant you): if you
don't have religion, you can't have religious fundamentalism, if you
don't have religious fundamentalism, you don't have 9/11 (or, for that
fact the IRA).
Penn's point _is_ simple. Way too simple. _Any_ core belief system
equates to extremism. OK, let's take that to the next level. I'm
assuming Mr. Gillette likes to sleep with women. (An assumption
supported by the fact that he is now a father.) Could I get up on a
soapbox and start preaching that _anybody_ who's sexually attracted to
women is right up there with serial rapists? (I've actually heard that
argument from extreme feminists.)

The other side of the coin is also addressed. How often have you heard
the argument that any gay person is is equatable to a child molester?
Will Tingle
2008-03-15 12:09:23 UTC
Post by Will Tingle
Penn's point is simple (a little too simple, I'll grant you): if you
don't have religion, you can't have religious fundamentalism, if you
don't have religious fundamentalism, you don't have 9/11 (or, for that
fact the IRA).
Could I get up on a soapbox and start preaching that _anybody_ who's
sexually attracted to women is right up there with serial rapists?
(I've actually heard that argument from extreme feminists.)
The other side of the coin is also addressed. How often have you heard
the argument that any gay person is is equatable to a child molester?
I know that Penn is a strong supporter of the American constitution, so
better rebuttals may be:

Without the right to bear arms, a guy who looses his temper wouldn't be
likely ho have a gun, anger fueld guncrime is a problem, therefore if
you own a gun, or support the right to own guns, you're right up there
with some nutter in Texas who finds out his wife is having an affair and
shoots her, his kids, and the guy she was banging.

or

Without free speech, if would he harder for fundamentalists and
terrorists to argue their point, thus gathering new recruits. therefore,
if you ever say anything outside of the government accepted line, you
are up there with the guys in the cockpit in 9/11.

You're right of course, these arguments are total bullshit.

I did point out that the argument was over simplified, and I did not
claim to agree with it.

I can even see why you would boycott a show he was in if you feel so
strongly (I wouldn't agree, but I could see where you were coming from).

However, /wishing/ that you watched a show you don't care for /just/ so
that you could, in this theoretical world where you actually liked the
show, boycott it, is childish.

cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't good enough - you wish
you had a nose, just so that you could cut it off!

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-16 15:29:37 UTC
Post by Will Tingle
[...]
The metaphor is flawed because I would not be doing myself harm to
boycott the show.
Will Tingle
2008-03-17 11:30:09 UTC
Post by Ed
Post by Will Tingle
However, /wishing/ that you watched a show you don't care for /just/ so
that you could, in this theoretical world where you actually liked the
show, boycott it, is childish.
cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't good enough - you wish
you had a nose, just so that you could cut it off!
The metaphor is flawed because I would not be doing myself harm to
boycott the show.
You are wishing you watched the show - which I can only assume you would
do if you enjoyed it.

Therefore you are wishing you enjoyed the show.

The only reason you are wishing you enjoyed the show, is so that you
could deprive yourself of the pleasure of watching it.

that's dumb.

PS - Ed, sorry about sending you this in e-mail first, didn't realise
until I was looking through my "filed" tray for something else.

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-17 18:05:22 UTC
Post by Will Tingle
An infinite number of primates hammered away at an infinite number of
 >> However, /wishing/ that you watched a show you don't care for /just/ so
 >> that you could, in this theoretical world where you actually liked the
 >> show, boycott it, is childish.
 >>
 >> cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't good enough - you wish
 >> you had a nose, just so that you could cut it off!
 >
 >The metaphor is flawed because I would not be doing myself harm to
 >boycott the show.

You are wishing you watched the show - which I can only assume you would
do if you enjoyed it.
Therefore you are wishing you enjoyed the show.
The only reason you are wishing you enjoyed the show, is so that you
could deprive yourself of the pleasure of watching it.
that's dumb.
PS - Ed, sorry about sending you this in e-mail first, didn't realise
until I was looking through my "filed" tray for something else.
No probs. I assume you sent it to my "hotmail" account which I don't
check very often. Besides, you're hardly a troll, it doesn't bother me
if you sent me an e-mail.

I don't not watch the show because I wouldn't enjoy it. I don't watch
it becase I work at night. And I don't generally watch "reality/
talent" shows any way.

If I did watch it (and enjoy it) I don't think losing that enjoyment
would be significant compared to the feeling of satisfaction it would
give me to deny Mr. Gillette my attention. (Which would be petty at
best, I know. Penn Gilette isn't going to know I'm not watching his
performance and if he did, he wouldn't give a rat's ass. But it would
make me feel better.)
Will Tingle
2008-03-17 18:30:33 UTC
Post by Ed
If I did watch it (and enjoy it) I don't think losing that enjoyment
would be significant compared to the feeling of satisfaction it would
give me to deny Mr. Gillette my attention. (Which would be petty at
best, I know. Penn Gilette isn't going to know I'm not watching his
performance and if he did, he wouldn't give a rat's ass. But it would
make me feel better.)
So if we substitute "childish" for "petty" we have a statement we can
agree on ;-)

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-18 03:41:13 UTC
Post by Ed
If I did watch it (and enjoy it) I don't think losing that enjoyment
would be significant compared to the feeling of satisfaction it would
give me to deny Mr. Gillette my attention. (Which would be petty at
best, I know. Penn Gilette isn't going to know I'm not watching his
performance and if he did, he wouldn't give a rat's ass. But it would
make me feel better.)
So if we substitute "childish" for "petty" we have a statement we can
agree on ;-)
Not at all. "Childish" would be sending letters to the network and
sponsors telling lurid tales of what exactly Mr. Gillette did and
demanding he be taken off the program for the sake of Christian
sensibilities.

If I ment "childish" as opposed to "petty," I would have said
"childish" as opposed to "petty."
Ed
2008-03-18 03:43:11 UTC
...ment to put this in the last message, and I forgot.

I ment the original comment half-jokingly. In the spirit of Arthur
Dent ("Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy") who, hearing a Vogon for the
first time, commenting; "Lovely, I wish I had a daughter so I could
forbid her to marry one."
FragileWarrior
2008-03-23 15:04:58 UTC
Post by Ed
...ment to put this in the last message, and I forgot.
I ment the original comment half-jokingly. In the spirit of Arthur
Dent ("Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy") who, hearing a Vogon for the
first time, commenting; "Lovely, I wish I had a daughter so I could
forbid her to marry one."
Vogons aren't all THAT bad. It's just their poetry that makes your
intestines leap out your mouth and mercy strangle you.
Ed
2008-03-23 15:24:27 UTC
Post by Ed
...ment to put this in the last message, and I forgot.
I ment the original comment half-jokingly. In the spirit of Arthur
Dent ("Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy") who, hearing a Vogon for the
first time, commenting; "Lovely, I wish I had a daughter so I could
forbid her to marry one."
Vogons aren't all THAT bad.  It's just their poetry that makes your
intestines leap out your mouth and mercy strangle you.
Ford responded to Arthur's comment with; "You wouldn't have to. They
have about as much sex appeal as a road accident!"
FragileWarrior
Hey, I may have dated one!
Will Tingle
2008-03-25 12:58:49 UTC
Post by Ed
Post by Ed
...ment to put this in the last message, and I forgot.
I ment the original comment half-jokingly. In the spirit of Arthur
Dent ("Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy") who, hearing a Vogon for the
first time, commenting; "Lovely, I wish I had a daughter so I could
forbid her to marry one."
Vogons aren't all THAT bad.  It's just their poetry that makes your
intestines leap out your mouth and mercy strangle you.
Ford responded to Arthur's comment with; "You wouldn't have to. They
have about as much sex appeal as a road accident!"
Trivia - I have worn the actual head from the "vogon guard" costume
from the TV version of guide!

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-26 03:49:56 UTC
Post by Ed
Post by Ed
...ment to put this in the last message, and I forgot.
I ment the original comment half-jokingly. In the spirit of Arthur
Dent ("Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy") who, hearing a Vogon for the
first time, commenting; "Lovely, I wish I had a daughter so I could
forbid her to marry one."
Vogons aren't all THAT bad.  It's just their poetry that makes your
intestines leap out your mouth and mercy strangle you.
Ford responded to Arthur's comment with; "You wouldn't have to. They
have about as much sex appeal as a road accident!"
Trivia  - I have worn the actual head from the "vogon guard" costume
from the TV version of guide!
That's actually impressive! I can see you stomping around the house
with it on...

Resistance IS useless!
Will Tingle
2008-03-27 22:14:22 UTC
Post by Ed
Post by Will Tingle
Trivia  - I have worn the actual head from the "vogon guard" costume
from the TV version of guide!
That's actually impressive! I can see you stomping around the house
with it on...
Not around the house sadly...

I used to be in "zz9 plural z alpha" (the official HHG appreciation
soc.) and they own the Trillian's costume (which is unfeasibly small - I
didn't stand a chance of getting into THAT (shame) and the vogon guard.

Back in about '94 WorldCon was in Glasgow and I was there, the costumes
were on display - I happened to be in the vicinity when they were being
packed away, so I asked of I could play with the head.

When ZZ9 do a convention of there own, a regular feature is "The Terry
Vogon show" - i.e. someone puts on the whole costume, and interviews
people in a chat show style. - I've been a "guest" on that too.

Interestingly the vogons hands were stolen long ago from some convention
or other, and were replaced with hands from "Spitting image" which had
been sprayed green. At the Glasgow WorldCon someone stole the
replacement hands, so somewhere, a fanboy (i can talk) is running around
with what he _thinks_ are HHG props, but which are actually ruined
Spitting Image props.

Sadly, Terry Vogon now wears gardening gloves...
Post by Ed
Resistance IS useless!
and was so LONG before the Borg[1] made it futile!

[1] Who lets be honest, are just a rip-off of the cybermen)

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-28 03:59:27 UTC
Post by Ed
Post by Will Tingle
Trivia - I have worn the actual head from the "vogon guard" costume
from the TV version of guide!
That's actually impressive! I can see you stomping around the house
with it on...
Not around the house sadly...
I used to be in "zz9 plural z alpha" (the official HHG appreciation
soc.) and they own the Trillian's costume (which is unfeasibly small - I
didn't stand a chance of getting into THAT (shame) and the vogon guard.
Still cool! I liked TV's Trillian. I haven't seen the movie so I don't
know how well she did compared to the one on the mini-series. Douglas
Adams said he'd visualized Trillian as tall, dark and British and then
she came in and did her short, blonde and American!
Post by Will Tingle
Back in about '94 WorldCon was in Glasgow and I was there, the costumes
were on display - I happened to be in the vicinity when they were being
packed away, so I asked of I could play with the head.
When ZZ9 do a convention of there own, a regular feature is "The Terry
Vogon show" - i.e. someone puts on the whole costume, and interviews
people in a chat show style. - I've been a "guest" on that too.
Any chance of footage?
Post by Will Tingle
Interestingly the vogons hands were stolen long ago from some convention
or other, and were replaced with hands from "Spitting image" which had
been sprayed green. At the Glasgow WorldCon someone stole the
replacement hands, so somewhere, a fanboy (i can talk) is running around
with what he _thinks_ are HHG props, but which are actually ruined
Spitting Image props.
Karma's a bitch. When I was at Marvel, they had a big vinyl Hulk
costume they would use for personal appearances. (Don't think they do
that any more.) They threw out a set of arms once and I took them, but
they were too unweldy and made no sense without the rest of the
costume.Still, the image of the Vogon costume with these big huge Hulk
arms at the side does linger.
Post by Ed
Resistance IS useless!
and was so LONG before the Borg[1] made it futile!
Very few people are aware that the Borg actually visited the Vogon
homeworld about a thousand years before visiting Earth. Why don't you
see any Vogon Borg clones? Even the Borg have SOME standards!
Will Tingle
2008-03-28 11:28:12 UTC
Post by Ed
I liked TV's Trillian. I haven't seen the movie so I don't
know how well she did compared to the one on the mini-series.
Trillian in the movie was okay, Marvin was superb (Warwick Davis' body
acting sells it though - not Alan Rickman's vocals).

Overall though the movie sucked, as Reviewer, Addams biographer (and one
time zz9 Newsletter editor) said - If you have a favourite moment or
line from any of the previous incarnations of the guide, there's a very
good chance it isn't in this movie.

Worst of all (for me) the writers seemed to think that "infinite
improbability drive" was a device for travelling to a completely random
point, over which the user has no control. That and Zaphod's (count it)
head.
Post by Ed
Douglas
Adams said he'd visualized Trillian as tall, dark and British and then
she came in and did her short, blonde and American!
Yeah, apparently, he categorically DID NOT want so see Sandra Dickinson
for the part, someone talked him into it, and when he saw her he felt so
badly proved wrong, that he allowed her to use her own voice (she
offered to do an English accent)
Post by Ed
Post by Will Tingle
When ZZ9 do a convention of there own, a regular feature is "The Terry
Vogon show" - i.e. someone puts on the whole costume, and interviews
people in a chat show style. - I've been a "guest" on that too.
Any chance of footage?
Alas no, no one was (as far as I've ever been made aware) filming.
If someone had been filming I'd be reticent to share, Gargleblasters had
been consumed and the whole affair was tragically unfunny.

Oh I should explain that throughout the 80's "The Terry Wogon show" was
a very real chat show, watched (for some reason) by millions - hence the
vogon's name.
Post by Ed
When I was at Marvel, they had a big vinyl Hulk
costume they would use for personal appearances. (Don't think they do
that any more.)
I _think_ they do, but I could be wrong (seem to remember seeing the
hulk suit in a magazine not long since)
Post by Ed
Very few people are aware that the Borg actually visited the Vogon
homeworld
That would be "The Vogsphere"
Post by Ed
about a thousand years before visiting Earth. Why don't you
see any Vogon Borg clones? Even the Borg have SOME standards!
Lets face it, what would a hive-race gain by assimilating the Borg...

"Resistance is futile, You will be Assimilated (as soon as the orders
are signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found,
subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat
for three months and recycled as firelighters.)"

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-29 04:00:02 UTC
Post by Ed
I liked TV's Trillian. I haven't seen the movie so I don't
know how well she did compared to the one on the mini-series.
Trillian in the movie was okay, Marvin was superb (Warwick Davis' body
acting sells it though - not Alan Rickman's vocals).
I like Rickman, I was hoping he would be good for Marvin's voice. (I
thought he sold "Dogma.")
Post by Will Tingle
Overall though the movie sucked, as Reviewer, Addams biographer (and one
time zz9 Newsletter editor) said - If you have a favourite moment or
line from any of the previous incarnations of the guide, there's a very
good chance it isn't in this movie.
Worst of all (for me) the writers seemed to think that "infinite
improbability drive" was a device for travelling to a completely random
point, over which the user has no control. That and Zaphod's (count it)
head.
Well, that was stupid. Technically, Zaphod had a second head, it was
under his chin and would only come out in times of stress. That was
another thing that ticked me off, with CGI technology it should have
been possible to give us a two-headed Zaphod who would actually be
able to be semi-articulate.

That and Ford disappointed me, I don't know if the actor was any good
or not, but he certainly didn't look like the kind of guy who, given a
chance to save the universe, would look for a good party instead on
the theory that if the universe deserved saving, someone would come
along and do it.
Post by Will Tingle
Post by Ed
Douglas
Adams said he'd visualized Trillian as tall, dark and British and then
she came in and did her short, blonde and American!
Yeah, apparently, he categorically DID NOT want so see Sandra Dickinson
for the part, someone talked him into it, and when he saw her he felt so
badly proved wrong, that he allowed her to use her own voice (she
offered to do an English accent)
Irony's almost as much a bitch as karma! And besides, having Sandra
for Trillian meant they were able to get Dr. Who number five as the
"Dish of the Day!"
Post by Will Tingle
Post by Ed
Post by Will Tingle
When ZZ9 do a convention of there own, a regular feature is "The Terry
Vogon show" - i.e. someone puts on the whole costume, and interviews
people in a chat show style. - I've been a "guest" on that too.
Any chance of footage?
Alas no, no one was (as far as I've ever been made aware) filming.
If someone had been filming I'd be reticent to share, Gargleblasters had
been consumed and the whole affair was tragically unfunny.
Oh I should explain that throughout the 80's "The Terry Wogon show" was
a very real chat show, watched (for some reason) by millions - hence the
vogon's name.
Clever.
Post by Will Tingle
Post by Ed
When I was at Marvel, they had a big vinyl Hulk
costume they would use for personal appearances. (Don't think they do
that any more.)
I _think_ they do, but I could be wrong (seem to remember seeing the
hulk suit in a magazine not long since)
Yeah, they had a series of costumes. Spiderman, Captain American,
Green Goblin, Spider Woman The Hulk and the Thing, maybe a couple of
others. This was over twenty years ago.
Post by Ed
about a thousand years before visiting Earth. Why don't you
see any Vogon Borg clones? Even the Borg have SOME standards!
Lets face it, what would a hive-race gain by assimilating the Borg...
"Resistance is futile, You will be Assimilated (as soon as the orders
are signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found,
subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat
for three months and recycled as firelighters.)"
"You thought it would be a good idea, 4 of 8."

"Stop communicating with me, 6 of 12."
Will Tingle
2008-03-29 12:35:30 UTC
Post by Ed
I liked TV's Trillian. I haven't seen the movie so I don't
know how well she did compared to the one on the mini-series.
Trillian in the movie was okay, Marvin was superb (Warwick Davis' body
acting sells it though - not Alan Rickman's vocals).
I like Rickman, I was hoping he would be good for Marvin's voice. (I
thought he sold "Dogma.")
It's great on paper isn't it? - but I don't think he 'got' it.
Post by Ed
Post by Will Tingle
Zaphod's (count it) head.
Technically, Zaphod had a second head, it was under his chin and would
only come out in times of stress. That was another thing that ticked me
off, with CGI technology it should have been possible to give us a
two-headed Zaphod who would actually be able to be semi-articulate.
Exactly!

Oh and for most of the film Zaphod doesn't even have a concealed second
head.
Post by Ed
That and Ford disappointed me, I don't know if the actor was any good
or not,
Actually, Ford (although unexpected) was pretty much pitch-perfect, also
(having an American play the part) made Ford's not being "from Guilford
after all" funnier (of course they ruined it with a "well that explains
the accent" quip).

I didn't like Arthur at all, but then its incredibly difficult to see
(or rather, hear) anyone but Jones in the roll.

And don't get me started on Towels in the movie - they were portrayed as
being obviously important, but it was never explained why...

Are you familiar with radio HHG (it's original format) - It's by far my
favourite version, and there's some great stuff in "The Secondary Phase"
(i.e. season 2) that never made it to the books.

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-29 14:12:39 UTC
Post by Will Tingle
Are you familiar with radio HHG (it's original format) - It's by far my
favourite version, and there's some great stuff in "The Secondary Phase"
(i.e. season 2) that never made it to the books.
I heard it once on Public Radio. I couldn't figure out why they got
the "worst poet in the universe" 's name wrong, turns out that was a
friend of Douglas' who actually wrote those terrible poems! He made
them change it for subsequent releases. I also think the radio play is
where Ford's line about the Vogons; "They have a much sex appeal as a
road accident" comes from.

I had a copy of the re-recording, where they garbled the name of the
poet. It self destructed.
Will Tingle
2008-03-29 17:18:35 UTC
Post by Ed
I had a copy of the re-recording, where they garbled the name of the
poet. It self destructed.
The name of the poet was changed in all subsequent re-runs and releases,
the re recording you speak of may have been the LP?

There was a double LP, with (most of) the radio cast, but which followed
the plot of the book (there was a single LP for the 2nd book too).

The computer game (an old infocom text only affair) is surprisingly good
too (and easy enough to track down on the net - it's classes as
"abbandonware" so you can download is sort-of-legally) - I had an
original Commodore 64 disk of it and it came with loads of cool extras
(including a pair of, admittedly cardboard, jo-janta 2000's, and a
microscopic space fleet).

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-30 14:01:50 UTC
Post by Ed
[...]
I forgot about the game! Yes, I did play that. I got stuck on the "you
can see nothing hear nothing, etc." sequence untill I used the cheat!
But I did finish it!

Never found the other game where you're supposed to be getting a
change of address card acknowledged and end up in the Amazon rain
forest!
Will Tingle

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-03-31 02:21:00 UTC
Post by Ed
Never found the other game where you're supposed to be getting a
change of address card acknowledged and end up in the Amazon rain
forest!
"Bureaucracy"
Yep, never found that one.

Right now, I slogging my way through the first Discworld game. Have
you read any Terry Pratchett?
(I think we've shang-hied the thread!)
Will Tingle
2008-03-31 17:06:32 UTC
Post by Ed
Never found the other game where you're supposed to be getting a
change of address card acknowledged and end up in the Amazon rain
forest!
"Bureaucracy"
Yep, never found that one.
Right now, I slogging my way through the first Discworld game.
Brilliant game (all 3 of them are very good)
Post by Ed
Have you read any Terry Pratchett?
Only a little, I read the first one-an-a-half discworld novels (which
I've been told isn't the best place to start) and the first 2 "Johnny"
kids books ("only you can save mankind" was actually very good). I also
met him (same convention as I tried on the vogon head).
Post by Ed
(I think we've shang-hied the thread!)
I think we did...

Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Ed
2008-04-02 16:13:36 UTC
Post by Ed
(I think we've shang-hied the thread!)
I think we did...
--
The more I see of my dickhead half brother...
...the more I think Cain was onto somthing!
Will Tingle
Remove YOUR.PANTS to e-mail
Well, since Penn's off "Dancing," we're about all that's left.

I enjoy the Discworld series. You also might want to look at Spider
Robinson's "Callahan's Bar" series.